Parow is situated north of Cape Town, Parow is approximately 20km from Cape Town City Centre via the N1. It is only 9km from Cape Town International Airport via the M12.
The Dutch Schooner, Kehrwieder, under the helm of Captain Johann Heinrich Ferdinand Parow, was one of 19 ships wrecked in Table Bay during a storm in 1865. Stranded, the Captain was taken in by the Timmerman family. He soon married the daughter, Johanna Wilhelmina and settled down in the cape. In 1886 he bought a large piece of land north of Cape Town, ideal for cattle trading. The captain acquired great wealth by selling the area, today known as Parow. He passed away in 1910 and today Captain Parow’s telescope can be seen in the Town Hall. This suburb may be ideally suited for sport lovers, but it is also home to an establishment that has become quite legendary amongst the locals.